The answer to the ‘Useful and useful’ Major League trivia quiz to celebrate Chuseok, which was released the previous day, will be revealed.
In order to avoid being singled out as a ‘cartel’, we tried to exclude ‘killer questions’ as much as possible, but as the test taker, we take full responsibility for failing to control the level of difficulty, which is a chronic problem in Korean education.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday season with joy.
Coach Baker washed away the regret of being irrelevant in the 2022 World Series. Photo = ⓒAFPBBNews = News1
- Which of the following happened ‘most recently’?
(1) Director Dusty Baker finally finished ‘The Sorrows of the Indifferent.’
(2) Choi Ji-man became the first Korean to record a World Series hit.
(3) The Dodgers advanced to the World Series for two consecutive years, but did not win the championship.
(4) Jorge Solaire hit the final home run and led the team to the championship.
(5) Stephen Strasburg won his first World Series.
All five items are events that have occurred in the World Series over the past five years. Dusty Baker relieved the ‘hinge of irrelevance’ by leading the Houston Astros to victory in the 2022 World Series.
The year in which Choi Ji-man recorded the first Korean World Series hit was 2020, and the LA Dodgers advanced to the World Series for two consecutive years in 2017 and 2018, but did not win. Jorge Solaire played for the Atlanta Braves and contributed to Atlanta’s victory by hitting a home run in Game 6 of the 2021 World Series. Stephen Strasburg contributed to the Washington Nationals’ first championship in 2019.
- Who is making a mistake when describing this stadium?
(1) Miyeon: There was a football game held together, but not now.
(2) Minnie: There was a rat that came out of the broadcast box.
(3) Soyeon: The All-Star Game has been held only once so far.
(4) Yuqi: Look at that old thing. It’s the oldest stadium in the major leagues.
(5) Shuhua: Those stands in the outfield were built later.
The photo is of the Oakland Coliseum, the home stadium of the Oakland Athletics. Originally, the NFL team Oakland Raiders played games here. It was also the place that remained as a combined baseball/football stadium until the very end. Since the All-Star Game was held in 1987, no All-Star Game has been held. Originally, the outfield was open, but in 1995, a 20,000-seat outfield bleacher was added to host the Raiders, resulting in its current appearance. This outfield stands is called ‘Mountain Davis’ after the name of Al Davis, the owner of the Raiders at the time. It is currently one of the oldest stadiums in the Major League. The New York Mets broadcasters who visited this place in April had to move the booth to broadcast because a rat appeared in the visiting team’s broadcast booth.
Opened in 1966, it is as old as it is, but it is not the oldest stadium in the major leagues. Fenway Park (1912), Wrigley Field (1914), and Dodger Stadium (1962) are older.
- Who is giving the correct explanation about the team based in this stadium?
(1) Minji: There has never been a World Series championship.
(2) Hani: This city was the hometown from the beginning.
(3) Daniel: He has recorded over 100 losses for two consecutive years.
(4) Haerin: It’s a team in the National League.
(5) Hyein: There was a Korean player who played.
The Oakland Athletics are a team in the American League West Division. They are currently the weakest team in the league with over 100 losses for two consecutive years, but they are a prestigious team that has won the World Series nine times. Founded in 1901 as the Philadelphia Athletics, it later moved to Kansas City and then to its current hometown of Oakland in 1968. Based on the major league roster, this is a team in which a Korean player has never played.
- This team is currently in the process of relocating. Which new city will they move to?
(1) Charlotte (2) Portland (3) Montreal (4) Las Vegas (5) Nashville
Athletics is currently seeking to relocate to Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Currently, a bill to provide funding for the construction of a new stadium has passed the Nevada State Legislature, and team owners are said to be planning to vote soon to approve the stadium relocation.
[Questions 5-7] Read the following example sentences and answer the questions.
‘This player’ was selected by Team A in the first round, 11th overall, in the 2005 draft, and debuted in the big league with this team in 2009. In 2013, he played a big role in helping this team end their postseason drought, and based on his performance, he was awarded MVP. In 2015, he was awarded ‘This Award’ based on his numerous social contribution activities. He, who was the team’s starting center fielder, was traded to Team B in January 2018 and again to Team C in August of the same year.스포츠토토
Afterwards, he entered the free agent market and signed with Team D in December 2018, signed a one-year contract with Team E in March 2022, and returned to Team A ahead of the 2023 season. He even achieved 2,000 career hits as a player on his home team, but his season ended early in early September due to a ruptured Achilles tendon.
- Who is this player? (Short answer)
The player described in the example is Andrew McCutchen . Team A is the Pittsburgh Pirates, Team B is the San Francisco Giants, Team C is the New York Yankees, Team D is the Philadelphia Phillies, and Team E is the Milwaukee Brewers.
- What is the correct explanation for ‘this award’?
(1) Winners are selected based on athletic performance alone.
(2) The Major League Baseball Commissioner determines the winner.
(3) Once you receive it, you cannot receive it again.
(4) Winners will be announced on the last day of the regular season.
(5) This award is named after a specific athlete.
‘This award’ is the Roberto Clemente Award. The award was established in honor of Hall of Fame member Roberto Clemente, who passed away in a plane crash while on his way to earthquake relief work in Nicaragua on December 31, 1972. Each year, the award celebrates a player who has made a positive impact on and off the field through good character, community contributions and philanthropic activities.
Although athletic performance is important, this award has a more important impact on social contribution activities off the field. It is not an award decided solely by the Major League Baseball Commissioner, but a vote by the ‘Blue Ribbon Panel’ composed of the league office, sponsors, broadcasters, MLB.com, the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and Clemente’s three children, and the fan vote is counted as one vote. Okay, select the winner. Until now, there has never been a player who has won this award twice, but there is no rule that says once someone receives it, they cannot receive it again. For example, Clayton Kershaw, winner of the award in 2012, was subsequently selected as a candidate. Winners are usually announced during the World Series.
- Who gave the wrong explanation about each club?
(1) Yujin Ahn: There is a Korean player playing on Team A.
(2) Autumn: One of the prospects that Team B gave up to acquire ‘this player’ has now become a starting player for Team A.
(3) Ray: Team B and Team C have confirmed their advancement to the postseason this year.
(4) Wonyoung Jang: Team A and Team D are based in the same state.
(5) Liz: Team A and Team E are in the same district.
(6) Lee Seo: Among them, only Team E has never won a World Series.
As of September 30th, Ji-Hwan Bae is playing in Pittsburgh. One of the players Pittsburgh received when it gave up McCutchen to San Francisco is current starting outfielder Brian Reynolds. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are based in the same state of Pennsylvania, and Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are in the same National League Central Division. Among the teams mentioned here, Milwaukee is the only one that has never won a World Series.
San Francisco and the Yankees failed to advance to the 2023 postseason.
Cincinnati will wear the CityConnect uniform for the first time this season. Photo = ⓒAFPBBNews = News1
- Major League Baseball has recently been unveiling ‘City Connect’ uniforms that embody the image of each club’s hometown. Which of the following teams has City Connect uniforms as of September 2023?
(1) Toronto Blue Jays
(2) Cincinnati Reds
(3) Oakland Athletics
(4) New York Yankees
(5) Philadelphia Phillies
The Major League Baseball is releasing City Connect uniforms for each team, starting with the Boston Red Sox in 2021. As of September 2023, City Connect uniforms for a total of 20 teams have been released. The Cincinnati Reds’ uniform was unveiled last May. The remaining teams shown will be revealed later.
An event commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Blue Jays’ 1992 World Series championship held in 2022. Photo = ⓒAFPBBNews = News1
- Which of the following has a different number? (Records as of the 29th)
(1) Number of home runs by ‘batter’ Ryu Hyun-jin
(2) Number of total ejections by Bae Ji-hwan
(3) Number of times Mike Trout advanced to the postseason
(4) Toronto Number of World Series wins
(5) Number of grand slams
in Kim Ha-seong’s career Hyun-jin Ryu hit only one home run at the plate. He recorded it against Antonio Senzatela in a home game against the Colorado Rockies on September 22, 2019, when he was with the LA Dodgers. Bae Ji-hwan has only experienced expulsion once so far. He was ejected from a game against the San Diego Padres on June 27 while protesting a strike call. Mike Trout advanced to the postseason only once, in 2014. Ha-seong Kim hit his first grand slam home run in his big league debut in a game against the Miami Marlins on August 21.
Toronto won the World Series twice, in 1992 and 1993.
A scene from the movie The Man Who Drives Me Crazy. Photo = Quote from movie still cut
- Major league teams also appear in movies. In which of the following cases are the major league teams that appear in the movie correctly matched?
(1) Die Hard 3 – New York Mets
(2) Angels in the Outfield – LA Dodgers
(3) Major League – Florida Marlins
(4) Little Big Leaguers – Milwaukee Brewers
(5) The Man Who Drives Me Crazy – Boston Red Sox
Drew Barrymore, Jimmy The 2005 film The Man Who Drives Me Crazy, starring Fallon, was originally titled ‘Fever Peach’ and is a remake of the 1997 British film of the same title. In the original British version, the male protagonist was shown to be crazy about the soccer team Arsenal, but when the stage was moved to the United States, the team was changed to the Boston Red Sox.
In Die Hard 3, Yankee Stadium appears as the main character finds a bomb by solving a quiz given by the villains. Angels in the Outfield is a movie set against the California Angels (now the LA Angels). The Major League is based on the Cleveland Indians (now the Guardians), and the Little Big Leaguer is based on the Minnesota Twins.